Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Antagony

 


I have been on earth for as long as I can remember. I’ve seen mother nature destroy, starve and feed species greater than you. One could say that I am her better half. She toils to protect this beautiful planet, but I thrive in chaos, pain, animosity and malice. I am ubiquitous and you will mostly find me within yourself.

I lurk in your minds, making your hearts my permanent abode. I drink tears to quench my thirst. And your prayers? My luscious food!

I wasn’t born out of agitation, but out of love. You see there’s a fine line between me and love; that line is choice. Habits die hard and I implore you to make me a habit. Trust me, hatred is a good habit.

I had few mortal friends, we got along very well. I still reminisce the beautiful stories Hitler told me, about those fragrant rooms that transport humans to another world. What a noble man! I miss the piquant Biryani Saddam Hussein used to make. It’s heartbreaking to see that their alluring legacies have been desisted. Ever since the end of the second world war, there hasn’t been anything breathtaking.

A country that I relish being in is India. I turn this diverse country into a warzone and they hail me. I make sure to come on television and stand beside Arnab because “I want to know”. I rejoice seeing religious polarization. I exult when I see the chasm between the rich and poor increase every day. I celebrate every time people fight for land and territories. Little do they know that kingdoms that considered themselves to be invincible and eternal perished too.

 I paint myself in bright colors that you see on vile posters. I am the barbaric words you use against your loved ones. I endorse xenophobia, racism and my personal favorite - speciesism. 

How boring would life be without me? Tell me. Would you think? Would you value love? 

I am necessary. The Gods created me for you. Keep me close to your hearts, and I will teach you to be happy!

 

~Nikitha Naveen - 11 ISC

 


No comments:

Post a Comment